Our first post gave information on the definition of epilepsy and “What To Do If Someone Has a Seizure,” so next you may be wondering can it be prevented? At present, the only way of preventing epilepsy is by reducing risks from things that damage the brain. Research may one day provide ways to identify people at risk of seizures and to prevent epilepsy before it begins.

Since the cause of epilepsy is still unknown, it can’t be fully prevented, but the seizures associated with epilepsy can be, and here are a few of those methods used by parents and individuals with epilepsy for seizure prevention:

1. Seizure Medications: Children and/or individuals with epilepsy can gain control of their seizures with regular use of seizure-preventing medicines. These medicines have to be taken from one to four times a day– depending on what is prescribed in their treatment regimen by the neurologist/epileptologist. Successful treatment depends on keeping a steady level of medication in the blood at all times, so it is important that doses not be missed or given late. One thing to keep in mind is that medications work differently for each individual and/or child. What works for some may not for others, and there is no quick fix when it comes to epilepsy.

2. Ketogenic Diet: The ketogenic diet is one of the oldest treatments for epilepsy. It is intended to maintain the starvation or fasting metabolism over a long period of time. When the body is in a fasting state, it creates ketones, a by-product of fat-burning metabolism. It has long been recognized that seizures often lessen or disappear during periods of fasting in some individuals with epilepsy.

The diet is very high in fat and low in carbohydrates. When fat is the primary source of calories, ketones are formed. The diet must be followed very strictly and requires a significant commitment to work effectively. Children on the diet often will not gain weight or grow much during the time the diet is in use. After that, however, growth is expected and should be carefully monitored.

The diet is typically started with a period of fasting lasting until the body produces a moderate to large amount of ketones. This initiation period usually takes place in the hospital, so that the individual can be monitored for potential side effects such as vomiting, low blood sugar, dehydration and seizures. Medications may also be adjusted during this period to prevent sedation (the tranquilizing effect of medications), another common side effect.

A two-month trial period is suggested for deciding whether the diet is effective. If effective, it is typically continued for two years. During this time, individuals are often able to lessen the amount of medication they take for seizures. Many children seem happier and more alert on the diet, even before medication is significantly lessened. People on a ketogenic diet should be monitored by a dietician, nurse and doctor particularly a neurologist familiar with its use. Specialized epilepsy clinics are available to monitor a person on this diet.

3. VNS Therapy (Vagus Nerve Stimulator): VNS therapy is not brain surgery. VNS therapy involves a minimally invasive procedure, which is typically performed under general anesthesia by a surgeon. The procedure takes approximately one hour, and patients usually go home the same day. Typically, two small incisions are made— one in a natural crease on the left side of the neck and one in the left chest area, below the collarbone. The generator is typically placed under the skin in the left chest area. A thin, flexible wire connects the generator to the left vagus nerve in the neck. The small scars from the two incisions typically fade over time and become minimally noticeable for many people. Another procedure is required to replace the generator once the battery is depleted. This procedure requires only one incision and usually takes less than an hour. The VNS therapy procedure is completely reversible.

For those who benefit from VNS therapy, it has been clinically proven to reduce the number and intensity of seizures and, in some cases, to completely eliminate seizures. Studies show that, unlike a medication, the effects of VNS therapy may take between a few months to one or two years to reach optimum levels. The positive effects of VNS therapy are long-lasting, typically do not decline, and may, in fact, improve over time. In addition, many patients using VNS therapy have also reported improvements in mood, increased alertness and enhanced memory. Furthermore, physicians have confirmed that some patients have been able to reduce the quantity and/or doses of medication over time. Many patients using VNS therapy no longer have to make as many visits to the hospital. VNS therapy is an added treatment to your current medications. It is not a replacement for them.

For more information please, go to the Epileps Warriors Foundation website.

About Susan Noble and the Epilepsy Warriors

As President and Founder of the Epilepsy Warriors, Susan Noble is striving to reach as many people within the local communities to help educate and bring an end to the stigma of epilepsy. It takes team work. It involves supporting each other in all efforts. It means showing the world that epilepsy is worth researching, fighting for and funding. We are all fighting for a CURE for our children and those “living with epilepsy” every day. We are a new foundation– one with a passionate vision. This vision will light our path and guide us towards our goals of “enlightening, empowering and curing.”

Susan and her family reside in Fort Myers, Florida otherwise known as her little slice of paradise.

31 thoughts on “How Can You Prevent a Seizure From Happening?”

1. Kay says:

I want to thank you for this article and making people more aware. We are trying to figure how to prevent my spouse from his recent frequent seizures. He didn’t have them often before a year ago. His doctors do not know why but his trying different combo of drugs or doses. It much scarier now that he has falling on hard surfaces, objects or down stairs hurting himself.

2. Jack Mayoff says:

@Kay

If you live in a state where cbd oil is available (Colorado, Washington have recreational pot shops, where you don’t need a medical license to get the oil) there’s 20 something medical legal states, where he could get a license and buy the oil that way. Cures seizures, not a band aid

3. adan says:

I’m 31, almost 32 and have been having grand mal seizures since I was about 17. Let me tell you, it sucks. I can usually tell when one is about to come. I become foggy and unable to concentrate. My hands and feet become real cold but sweaty. My stomach hurts and I feel nauseous but can’t throw up. I become extremely uncomfortable and fidgety. All of those feelings happen for about an hour or so before hand. It’s not the best experience. Even if take more medication when I feel one coming I’ll have one. —– At some point I gain consciousness after I don’t know how long with the worst headache and no memory whatsoever of what happened prior or minutes after an episode. Occasionally I’ll bite my tongue or cheek. I’ve tried almost every kind of epileptic medication and I still have breakthroughs. My long term memory is slowly deteriorating. There is nothing I can do except to spread love, pay it forward, and enjoy life while I am still able to. I am content and have accepted my future. When you notice someone having a seizure or about to have a seizure, try to put something soft under their head and stand back. Don’t hold them down. They will eventually snap out of it. that was how a friend ask me to email aishatheorginal for help , iam free now if you have lost hope now there is hope EMAIL . aishatheorginal for your help or call +2348148345303 there is hope now friend

4. Rito Ramirez says:

My son is 13yrs old and had his first sei

5. Riad Shakeer says:

Hi, My son turned 16 on Feb 26 and has a long history which I would like to discuss with you
    Briefly brain tumour at age 11/2 surgery in USA chemo for 1yr in Trinidad (where we live) radio therapy in New Castle England, age 3 return home had 10 wonderful years off all medication Tumour return Dec 2013.

6. bindu says:

Hi i m patient of elpisey from 2003 my age is 32 at starting i was taking zeptol,lobazam torvate due to side i also my hair my body calcium also started disolving i m unable to walk n sit properly i m having bodu stifness cant take expensive medicine at present taking levipil 250 mg plz help so that can i can be same as i was before i beg of u thanx

7. ntandoyenkosi mngadi says:

I live in South Africa I have had seizures since I was 13years old and now I am about to turn 19 I usually have a seizure once or twice per week and when it comes I usually loose control on what I am doing when it pass I don’t have strength to even stand on my own I want to know what I can do to stop them permanently the two hospitals I’ve been to they couldn’t determine the cause I need help please if you know someone who can help especially here in SA please send me an email

8. Nicole Lascurain says:

Hi,

I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of epilepsy on the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

You can see the overview of the report here: https://www.healthline.com/health/epilepsy/effects-on-body

Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: https://globalgenes.org/raredaily/how-can-you-prevent-a-seizure-from-happening/

I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of the effects of epilepsy to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
    Nicole Lascurain • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3100 | f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    http://www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

9. Tito says:

Very informative!

10. I’m a 43 y/o Operation Desert Shield / Storm Veteran. After spending time in the Persian Gulf, in 1993 I started having Seizures.
    At first I wasn’t sure what it was, after visiting a Neurologist, who played with the meds long enough to get toxic in my system.
    Then finally I was put on Lamictol XR. That worked great until I had an allergic reaction to it.
    Now I feel like I’m running out of options. Would someone please give me a lil bit of insight

11. Kathleen Ward says:

I’ve been having seizures since I was 14 years old (since 1988) from a traumatic brain injury, or so they think. In my life, I’ve taken, Carbamazepine (Tegretol), Dilantin (which actually works really well), Lamectal, Keppra, Phenobarbital, and Topiramate.
    Right now, I’m taking Topiramate, and I just experienced breakthrough seizures just last night. So, I took a large dropper of CBD oil, and the aura went away. I wish that I could get a prescription for the CBD oil, and take that alone, because it’s like a miracle in itself.

12. akhil says:

hi this is akhil ,i am 19 years old i will rarely get seizures per year once from 10 th class i got my first seizure starting there until now i am using medicines how can i prevent fits permanently

13. Iheanyichukwu Nwaforala says:

I need ur help ma Susan

14. Alice says:

Thanks for sharing

15. Freddy says:

Hi My Name Is Freddy And Im 18 Year Old.I’ve Had This Seizures 2 Times In This Month Now.It Started Of When I Couldnt Remember What I Was Doing.And Later On I Was In The Hopital.Unware Of What Just Happened.

16. santosh says:

I’m having a problem of such seizures from 2009 till now .while this seizures happen then I cannot control and my head shake automatically and goes on turning and my eyes too. All my body is getting cold and the color of my skin also changes. So please if you have any solution regarding this problem please email me. Thank you for your kind cooperation.

17. At first I experienced seizure when I was 15. After that I was free from it for 2 years. But just when I finished H.S exam it again attacked me. I lost sense almost for 30 minutes. When I got my sense back I cannot remember atleast 1 second of that 30 minutes. I felt very weak even to stand upon my feet. After that it began to attack frequently. Then I went to a doctor. He prescribed me to diagnose by MRI of brain and EEG. Then he sent me to a neurologist. He prescribed me Fludac 10 and Encorate Chrono 300mg. After that I am well but not totally cured. Sometimes I begin to cry in my illness. But I cannot express it before my parents. They also become sad to see me. I don’t know what is waiting for me in future! Pray to god to bless on me please!

18. Alex says:

Thakns for the article, since 2006 im having seizures but you can say that im controlling them (or im the reason) because in 99% of cases, they happened when i dont sleep enought time in the night (for example just for 4 hours or 3) so when i wake up i sence this aura around if i ignore it i fall and the seizure begin if i lay down and try to sleep it often make the aura disappear, but dont get stressed and think that you can’t live with, its so simple; its not that big a seizure, if i have a seizure, right after, i take a paracetamol 1000mg sleep for around 8 or 9 hours for the after headache and everything comes back to normal , for the daily treatement i am taking Depakine Chrono 500mg and since two years everything was okay until last month i start to work lately to 4 and wakeup at 7 that what make the seizures comes back,
    And for the people talking,when someone tell me why i have those seizures? i tell him that the doctor diagnosed my brain an hyper smart brain that sometime my skull cant contain such smart ideas, just kiddin!! if any one don’t want to have seizures for longtime , just take regularly the treatement that your doctor gave to you( dont forget it neveeeerrr !!!!!), dont sleep less than 8hours ( if not, its risky), dont be exposed at strong lights, and you can say good bye to seizures well its working for me

Thanks everyone and sorry for my bad english:p

19. anu says:

It all started in the year 2009 with repeated sleepless nights dedicated for studies. Since then it followed me in 2010, 11, 13 and 2016. But in my case I am able to know when it comes, as by body gives repeated signals before falling down like getting blackout in the eyes 2 to 3 times and then I fall. And it only comes when I skip a good night sleep along with a tired morning.
    This is not the real problem. The real problem is the medication that I take. It is ruining me like hell. In the initial stage it didn’t show any allergic symptoms. After the 2013 attack my doc increased the dosage from 300 to 500. I don’t know whether this is the cause or no but my body generating rashes throughout my body lately now. I am getting an addiction to the medicine now. If I forget to take a dosage, my body starts shivering like an alcohol addict.
    Also that I am moving to a stage of acute anxiety and it is becoming severe. Still now my doc is not willing to take a chance. He says that since 4 to 5 attacks have happend, he is not willing to take a risk and still continuing the same high dosage. My life s becoming a hell now. I am deprived of my driving and everything that should have made a life. Am really sad about this. Now in my 25 am living a life in hell.
    Any doctors anybody if there in this community..
    .l pleed you to plz plz plz…..help me out…..plz

20. MJ Stanton says:

Please tell me to ensure to not have any seizures???

21. Ujwal Pardhi says:

hello sir,I am Ujwal 21 years old I got first attack of epileptic feet in the year 2010 n i was fell from stage,after that doc suggest me to take encorate 300 and frisium 5mg. My 3 operations have been done on this but still I am suffering from this problem and i used to take tablets daily.I am just frustrating of this,is there any solution to totally recover this.Whenever i suffered from attack it is upto 5 min sometimes 10 min. Plz recommend me good treatment to total cure this hell. Is mediation helps me to recover this. plz reply

22. Francesca Mcniel says:

How my daughter was saved from grand mal seizure.
    I am not really a fan of sharing my personal private story on the internet but i decided to do this because this joy is too voluminous for me to hide. My daughter which i took over 8 years after marriage to conceive had her first seizure at age 6 and ever since then it has been from one seizure to another in school, in church, at picnics. This got me worried because she has a bright future that i do not want epilepsy to become a hindrance, i tried several doctors in Texas and none could help with an effective cure. I went on the internet and saw testimonies about a treatment for epilepsy which a doctor offered and i was interested, i got in contact with him and i was able to get the medicine for my daughter which she used for 3 months as he instructed and it has been over 6 months now she is doing just fine without any allergies or aftermath effects. If you are suffering problem try to reach him too on (josephalberteo @ gmail. com) i can count on him for a cure for you too.

23. devan says:

hey guys my epileptic attacks don’t want to stop Iam still getting it every month once or twice. I am even can stop smoking ciggarates now. it’s been following me now very long almost 4 years this sickness

24. Helen letshedi says:

Hi my boy he is 18 years now he got an epilepsy since from 2 years till now how can I help him

25. Camille says:

CBD OIL!!!!!

26. My daughter is 19 year old she has her first seizure when she was 18 it was started when she fainted in the shower room, after that her seizure repeatedly 1 or 2 times every month, brought her to a neurologist, she had an MRI on her brain and the result is normal, she had EEG and the neurologist said the wave is in border line , the doctor prescribed Zonisamide 100mg 1capsule/day, she’s been taking this medication for 5 months now but there’s no improvement she still have seizure every month, please I need a good advice, as a mother I’m really worried for my daughter.

27. ali sydney says:

My son is 5 years old. He suffered from myoclonic seizure for over a year, uncontrollably with meds. When he has one it starts where he rolls his eyes back or his eyes are staring off to nowhere, seeing he arms jerk every single night His breathing gets very shallow and his heart rate speeds up, now his not sleeping. I don’t think there’s any changing he started experiencing one horrible serious side effect of the medicine. I could not get an appointment with a neurologist for 5 weeks. I was filled with worry. Thank God for a wonderful doctor, i read a testimonial of someone on a website her daughter was cure from seizure using herbal medicine. I called the number that was retain at the website, i explain to doctor Lawson about my son symptom and I ordered his medicine. my son used the medicine for month now, his health has change the meds worked without any trace of side effects. For over 1 year now seizure free if you don’t have this herbal product it is available. It works, wonderfully.

28. ali sydney says:

email dr.lawson52@ gmail. com. I’m so grateful that he was able to SURVIVE it.

29. Rick Dawson says:

Hello everyone, when I came down with epilepsy I was 19 years old and now I am 64. I have taken almost every drug known to god and am pretty much under control most of the time. Last night and the night before I have had seizures lately. The one thing that brings me out of them is more night time dosage of pills and a half of a 10 mil Valium. It seems to work for me because when I used to go to the hospital and spend thousands of dollars that was the drug they gave me to bring me out of them. Works for me every time.

30. Ieshia says:

Hey Ali Can U Point Me To That Herbal Medication .. My BoyFriend Have Them .. I Just Want Them Gone. I Pray Over Him EveryNight .

31. Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and
    you’re just extremely wonderful. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really
    like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart.
    I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a tremendous website.