Paraquat poisoning

Get in touch with RARE Concierge.

Contact RARE Concierge

Paraquat poisoning is a rare intoxication with paraquat (a non-selective bipyridilium herbicide that has been banned in Europe) usually occurring through ingestion of the poison and that presents with caustic injury of the oral cavity and pharynx as well as nausea vomiting epigastric pain lethargy loss of consciousness and fever. Patients may develop potentially life-threatening complications such as hepatic dysfunction acute tubular necrosis and renal insufficiency and respiratory failure (due to pulmonary fibrosis) due to its inherent toxicity and lack of effective treatment. Intoxication via inhalation injection and dermal or mucus contact have also been reported.

Data from Orphanet are used to provide information on a disease's name, synonym(s), and overview. Reference: Access aggregated data from Orphanet at Orphadata. Orphadata: Free access data from Orphanet. © INSERM 1999. Available on http://www.orphadata.org. Data version June 2024

Newly diagnosed with
Paraquat poisoning?

Our RARE Concierge Services Guides are available to assist you by providing information, resources and connections as you navigate your rare disease journey.

Get Concierge Help

Clinical Trials

For a list of clinical trials in this disease area, please click here.