One Day Summit “A Mission That Matters at MD Anderson” Hosted by The National Leiomysarcoma Foundation
March 22, 2016
The National Leiomysarcoma Foundation is pleased to present this one-day summit as part of the annual NLMSF Conference Series to provide patients and their families/caregivers with ongoing education in the progress of LMS research, treatment options on the horizon, and other topics of interest that relate to quality of life.
- MD ANDERSON’S LMS RESEARCH WORKING GROUP – The cutting edge of LMS research at MD Anderson. Dr. Vinod Ravi, Associate Professor, Sarcoma Medical Oncology; with Dr. Kelly Hunt, Chair Ad Interim, Breast Surgical Oncology, Dr. Keila Torres, Assistant Professor, Surgical Oncology, and Dr. Khandan Keyomarsi, Professor, Experimental Radiation Oncology
- TUMOR IMMUNOLOGY – The growing field of immunology. Dr. Patrick Hwu, Chairman, Sarcoma Medical Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS – Advances in experimental medicine and biology. Dr. Bharat Aggarwal, Professor, Experimental Therapeutics, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE – Stress management therapies for patients and caregivers. Dr. Warren Holleman, Professor, Behavioral Sciences, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- SOCIAL WORK – Coping with LMS. Ms. Amy LaMarca Lyon and Ms. Victoria Grant, Social Work, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- INTEGRATED MEDICINE – Incorporating integrative therapies into conventional cancer care. Dr. Gabriel Lopez, Assistant Professor, Integrative Medicine Program, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- PATHOLOGY – Genomics of LMS. Dr. Alexander Lazar, Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- SURGICAL ONCOLOGY – Surgical Management of LMS. Dr. Christina Roland, Assistant Professor, Surgical Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- PEDIATRICS – Circulating tumor cells. Dr. Shulin Li, Professor, Pediatrics – Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- DIAGNOSTIC RADIATION – Imaging technics. Dr. Kevin McEnery, Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- RECOGNITION by the National Leiomyosarcoma Foundation of MD Anderson’s medical researchers as well as the survivors and thrivers attending the summit.
Register for the 2016 NLMSF Connect Conference at
More About NLMSF
LEIOMYOSARCOMA IS A RARE DISEASE WITH A COMMON NEED
THE FOUNDATION FOCUSES ON:
- PATIENT/ FAMILY EDUCATION and SUPPORT
- PATIENT RESOURCE ASSISTANCE
- LMS RESEARCH FUNDING
- PATIENT ADVOCACY
The Foundation’s Website and Facebook page are important resources for patients, families, caregivers, and friends. Find us at www.nlmsf.org. and on Facebook.com/NationalLMSFoundation.
“A MISSION THAT MATTERS WITH THE NLMSF”
PATIENT/FAMILY EDUCATION and SUPPORT
Patient information support is offer to address initial diagnosis/coping with the diagnosis, and treatment issues surrounding diagnosis – through the Foundation’s website. A Foundation representative is also accessible to help and answer questions at 303 783-0924.
Patient education symposia are presented in collaboration with cancer research centers throughout the United States. Participants have the opportunity to connect with LMS specific researchers, clinicians, as well as fellow LMS patients. Patient education and awareness encourages self-advocacy. “Knowledge is Power” (to be able to ask the right questions.)
PATIENT RESOURCE ASSISTANCE
Bridging resources and collaborating with other sarcoma organizations facilitates a broader range of resource support to help patients and their families/caregivers.
LMS RESEARCH FUNDING
The NLMSF supports researchers through funding cutting-edge LMS research, promoting progress in the acceleration of treatment options and advancements for patients.
NLMSF represents patients at annual medical oncology conferences, and shares the latest research information with patients on its website. Patients are represented at legislative conferences regarding policy issues impacting medical legislative issues such as research, FDA drug approval processes, clinical trials and patient registry information updates, and more.
Sign up for updates straight to your inbox.