World Rare Disease Day is an annual observance held on the last day of February (February 28th or February 29th in a Leap Year) to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatments and medical representation for individuals with rare and genetic diseases and their families.
The seventh annual World Rare Disease Day will be held on Friday, February 28, 2014. On this day, various activities take place in the United States, Europe, Russia, Japan and elsewhere around the world.
How To Get Involved
Global Genes | RARE Project will hold a variety of awareness raising activities during the month of February leading up to World Rare Disease Day. Please join patients, families, friends, caregivers, scientists, physicians, researchers, health care providers, policy experts and our team in 2014 to raise rare and genetic diseases awareness. Here are ways you can get involved!
Join the Wear That You Care™ Movement
Global Genes promotes Wear That You Care™, a campaign that encourages people to wear the Blue Denim Genes Ribbon™ and their favorite pair of jeans to recognize Rare Disease Day and support the millions fighting rare and genetic diseases. Simply wear the Blue Denim Gene Ribbons™ and your favorite pair of jeans to school or work in support rare and genetic disease awareness. It is easy and fun! Order your Genes Ribbons™ here.
- Distribute the Blue Denim Gene Ribbons™ to friends and co-workers
- Host a Wear That You Care™ event in your local community
- At school – kids wear blue/denim in support of people fighting rare and genetic diseases
- At work – host a casual ‘Blue Gene’ day
Join Awareness Events in your community
- Attend one of the many events being held in the United States and around the world! Upcoming 2014 World Rare Disease Events will be posted online.
- Hosting an event? Share the details here!
Spread Awareness through Social Media
- Download graphics to use on for your Facebook Timeline, Profile or websites
- Share pictures in your jeans and ribbons and post them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Make sure to tag @GlobalGenes in all your pictures
- Use and promote the hashtags #WearThatYouCare, #CareAboutRare
Join Annual Advocacy Events in Washington DC
- Join Global Genes and Rare Disease Legislative Advocates (RDLA) for scheduled events